8237 Direct Memory Access (DMA) Controller
Basic DMA operation The direct memory access (DMA) I/O technique provides direct access to the memory while the microprocessor is temporarily disabled. A DMA controller temporarily borrows the address bus, data bus, and control bus from the microprocessor and transfers the data bytes directly between an I/O port and a series of memory locations. The DMA transfer is also used to do high-speed memory-to-memory transfers. Two control signals are used to request and acknowledge aDMA transfer in the microprocessor-based system. The HOLD signal is a bus request signal which asks the microprocessor to release control of the buses after the current bus cycle. The HLDA signal is a bus grant signal which indicates that the microprocessor has indeed released control of its buses by placing the buses at their high-impedance states. The HOLD input has a higher priority than the INTR or NMI interrupt inputs. The 8237 DMA controller The 8237 DMA controller supplies the memory and I/O with contro...




Comments
Post a Comment